Shell access is very important in Shared web hosting, Reseller web hosting as well as VPS Web hosting Platforms. Since, this small interface which provides huge InfoAbout how to connect to another web server via the SSH (secure shell) network protocol.
Your shared hosting account allows you and having ability to connect with an account via SSH, but you must have to connect with the use of SSH Keys, which is different than the process of VPS web servers and dedicated servers.
A Small Focus On SSH Access
A brief overview about SSH access via Putty windows desktop Application
If you are having Reseller hosting account this guide we will show you how to connect to an individual cPanel account via SSH using putty application. Shared hosting server accounts also use the same step by step process to access SSH.
The SSH (secure shell) network protocol provide you a unique authentication to connect with another web server over the web using a Command Line Interface (CLI). You can use this simple interface for remotely manage your hosting server configuration of different apps/software, allows different permissions for files and folders or perform other tasks and configure CGI scripts.
- Firstly you need to Download Putty and install putty Application/software.
- Do Login into your cPanel account with the correct login credentials.
- Scroll down and Click on SSH access icon.
- Next step to Click on Manage SSH keys button.
- Click to Generate a New Key button.
- Enter a new key name & set a Key password also select the Key type for an algorithm (RSA algorithm or DSA algorithm) and lastly choose key size 2048. Click on Generate Key, After Generate Key click on Go back button.
- You will see public key which you created recently. Click on Manage and set authorize it with clicking on button Authorize. Click on Go Back button.
- Now, goto section of Private Key. Find your key name and click on View/Download.
- You need to download this private key but before that you must to convert this key to PPK format. For that you need to enter a password which you set for generation of key.
- After enter password click on convert. Generated Key is now converted to PPK format. Now click on download button to get download.
- Open putty software and enter the hostname. i.e. username of your cPanel. You can find hostname on dashboard of your domain cPanel at right side up panel.
- To get the correct port number don’t hesitate to contact your hosting support.
- Select connection from left option panel. In that click on SSH and from the SSH select Auth.
- Click on browse and select the downloaded private key. Click on Open.
- Most importantly if this is your first Login attempt therefore you will be prompted to save the connection for future use. By clicking “Yes” connect just once by clicking “No” or do not connect at all by clicking Cancel. In future do you need to get SSH access sequentially then click on “Yes” Button.
- To get SSH access in putty window type your cPanel username and hit enter.
- After, that enter the key password and again hit enter.
- That’s it. Now you can easily access SSH access via putty.
- To check the list of files you can type “ls” (small alphabetical order letter LS) and hit enter, you can get list of files available.
The above is the smartest & easiest way to get ssh access via putty windows application using desktop system.
To start your OWN Reseller hosting Business please read Best Reseller Hosting Provider with FREE WHMCS & FREE SSL Certificate with https:// Google updated Security.